- 1. Compost is an excellent soil conditioner improving water holding capacity but also improving drainage.
- 2. Fabric almost always becomes moldy and smelly while compost never does.
- 3. Adding plants from year to year in compost is easy.
- 4. Compost controls weeds and makes pulling of weeds that do occur easy. Fabric encourages weeds to grow on top and into the fabric making weed pulling a disaster.
- 5. Fabric invites mice to nest which in turn invites things that hunt mice, like snakes, into your garden spaces. This reason alone is enough reason to chose compost instead!
Rich, black compost makes a beautiful backdrop for all plants. It is organic mulch. It should be laid over freshly weeded beds with 2-3 inches minimum to discourage new weed growth.